Audrey, 75, smashes swimming records
SEVENTY-five year-old swimmer Audrey Head won five gold medals and set five regional records at the East Region Open Masters Championships. Audrey, from Witchford, swam faster than anyone in her age group in the country this year to record 5min 15.17sec i
SEVENTY-five year-old swimmer Audrey Head won five gold medals and set five regional records at the East Region Open Masters Championships.
Audrey, from Witchford, swam faster than anyone in her age group in the country this year to record 5min 15.17sec in the 200m breaststroke.
Competing in the 75-79 year age group in Bury St Edmunds, the City of Ely Swimming Club member smashed her own 100m breaststroke record by a whopping 17 seconds, with 2:25.55.
She also set records in the 50m breaststroke, (1.8.76), in the 50m freestyle (1.0.03) and in the 100m (2:13.71).
You may also want to watch:
Audrey, who started competitive swimming in her mid 50s and now trains three times a week, said: "I went into the competition with confidence but didn't expect to do as well as I did."
She added: "I really enjoy swimming and Ely has some great coaches. The exercise and healthy lifestyle is so beneficial at my age because it helps keep my joints supple."
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 Man found dead in March
Audrey has represented Cambridgeshire on many occasions, is a nationally qualified judge and timekeeper and she coaches some of the Ely clubs younger swimmers.
Coach Elaine Hill said: "Audrey always gives 100 per cent in training and is an inspiration to all our swimmers. She is committed to her sport and is proof that hard work and dedication works wonders. I am sure that she will continue to break records."
City of Ely Swimming Club holds training sessions at the Paradise Pool on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings.
Swimmers of all ages are welcome.