ATHLETICS: King’s Ely talents take home nine medals from Cambridgeshire Athletics Clubs County Championships
- Credit: Archant
King’s Ely students won a haul of medals at this year’s Cambridgeshire Athletics Clubs County Championships.
A group of pupils from King’s Ely Junior and King’s Ely Senior competed against the county’s best club athletes in the championships on May 13 and brought home nine medals between them.
King’s Ely’s star of the show was Bertie Whymark, 12, who won a gold medal in his first ever discus competition.
14-year-old Ben Marshall won two silver medals in the hurdles and high jump and Billy McGrath, 14, won a silver medal in the discus.
Elizabeth Carberry, also 14, also won a silver medal in the discus and Sadie Hammond won a silver medal in the javelin.
Scott Grassby won two bronze medals in the shot and discus and Katie Cameron, 14, ran a good race to take bronze in the hurdles.
Just outside the medals were Tom Kim, who came fifth in the long jump and Billy McGrath who came fourth in the high jump.
- 1 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 2 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 3 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 4 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 5 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 6 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 7 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Detached home in tranquil riverside setting on sale for £750,000
- 9 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 10 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
Hannah Paling and Elizabeth Carberry just missed the podium with fourth placings in the high jump.
Lottie Webster and Annabelle Gilbert also ran very well in the 100m heats to gain places in the 100m final.
Head of Athletics at King’s Ely, Jim Thompson, said: “It was great to see the King’s Ely vests on the podium so frequently.
“The attitude of the athletes was positive and supportive throughout, and everyone shared in the success of their team mates.
“Well done to all athletes who really gave it their all on the day.”