ATHLETICS: Ely Runners claim top 10 finish at gruelling 200-mile Round Norfolk Relay
- Credit: Archant
Ely Runners are celebrating tackling a 200-mile challenge earlier this month.
The local club took two teams of athletes to the Round Norfolk Relay, and one of those claimed a top 10 finish.
The A team completed the 198-mile multi-terrain trek – which started and finished in King’s Lynn – in just 23 hours and two minutes, while the B team finished in 49th overall in 27 hours and 57 minutes.
The club’s A team captain, Stephen Howard, said: “The team was all set for a top three finish when a puncture en route to the start of his stage put one of our runners out of the race.
“We had to take a time penalty in lieu of that run, putting us out of the medals this year.
You may also want to watch:
“This was a serious setback but the team soon recovered their fighting spirit.
“To claim seventh position in these circumstances is very impressive, and everyone can be proud of their strong performances.”
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 9 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 10 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
The ‘A’ team members (stage order): Robin Webb, Gordon Irvine, Stephen Howard, Ross Payne, Alex Metcalfe, Ben Cook, Richard Hill, Rob Pope, Alan Darby, Craig Holgate, Lee Tatum, Kieren Drane, Peter Royle, Jason Mann, Alex Tate, Lee Thompson, Paul Waggitt and support crew Jon Evans, Steve Presland, Nick Dowdy and Martin Courtney. (Runners Ross Payne and Stephen Howard also doubled up as part of the crew).
The ‘B’ team members: Samantha Collins-Shirley, Sarah Starr, Steve Starr, Charlotte Cook, Barry Graves, Caroline Brown, Andy Thompson, James Lee, Cara Macfarlane, Jason Fretwell, Amy Southward, Emma Greaves, John Foster, Lauren Thomas, Pete Wood, Anne Booth and Justin Smith (with runners Sarah and Steve Starr, Caroline Brown, Andy Thompson and James Lee also forming the support team).