Annual Ladies Race Takes Place at Ely Sailing Club
THIS was a busy weekend at the Ely Sailing Club. On Saturday the annual Ladies Race took place in light winds on a dull wet day. The racing was very fiercely competitive and the series was won by Alayne Sallis, beating both her sister Suzie and her Mum
THIS was a busy weekend at the Ely Sailing Club.
On Saturday the annual Ladies Race took place in light winds on a dull wet day. The racing was very fiercely competitive and the series was won by Alayne Sallis, beating both her sister Suzie and her Mum Jill Sallis. Jill was in a boat for the first time in two years and was crewing for Clare Christian in the Club's new Wayfarer.
The Partners race was won by Clare and Eric Christian, beating Gary and Liz Ungless.
Sunday saw a perfect bright, sunny and windy day for the racing in the afternoon and RYA exams in the morning. Six members were taking an RYA instructor's exam after many weeks of training. They all passed and this will be a great help to the Club's training program.
The afternoon saw great racing conditions and close racing with the honours shared. Alan White won the first race and the next Solo class race but was out manoeuvred at the first mark by Steve Mair who took the final class race. John Wells easily took the handicap win in that final race as Eric Christain and Steve Mair battled for position behind him.
Pic cap: The annual ladies race took place at Ely Sailing Club on Saturday.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 8 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen