All categories officially launched
THE Ely Standard has now launched all the categories for its first-ever sports awards and exciting is mounting for the event which promises to be a showcase for sporting achievement in East Cambridgeshire. This week, we have published all the categories a
THE Ely Standard has now launched all the categories for its first-ever sports awards and exciting is mounting for the event which promises to be a showcase for sporting achievement in East Cambridgeshire. This week, we have published all the categories and encourage readers to get their entries in before the November 14 deadline.
The aim of these awards, which have been sponsored by Cambridgeshire County Council, as well as local companies who have sponsored individual categories, is not only to recognise sporting achievement across East Cambridgeshire, but also to encourage and support our future sports men and women, who we hope may have greater ambitions in the national arena and, in particular, the 2012 Olympics.
But local sport is not just about future Olympians; it is about the grass roots and all those people who compete in every kind of sport week-in and week-out. And we know there are hundreds of you out there, the footballers, rugby players, hockey players, roller skaters, swimmers, runners, bowlers and many, many more.
We also have awards to recognise all the people who work behind the scenes and make it possible for sports clubs to run efficiently and sometimes to function financially. We want to hear about all the green-keepers, all the mums who wash the kits and all those hard-working individuals who often turn up in all weathers and make personal sacrifices to ensure that sports pitches are kept in order, or programmes are printed. There is also a category for disabled sports people, and the Liam Fairhurst Award, which recognises sporting endeavour.
In the next few weeks we hope you will become as excited as we are at the Ely Standard at what will be a fantastic opportunity to recognise some talented and hard-working individuals from both on and off the pitch, pool and playing field.
- 1 Councils bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 6 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 7 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 8 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 1,800 enjoy free Christmas day out at Ely’s ‘hidden gem’