All categories officially launched
THE Ely Standard has now launched all the categories for its first-ever sports awards and exciting is mounting for the event which promises to be a showcase for sporting achievement in East Cambridgeshire. This week, we have published all the categories a
THE Ely Standard has now launched all the categories for its first-ever sports awards and exciting is mounting for the event which promises to be a showcase for sporting achievement in East Cambridgeshire. This week, we have published all the categories and encourage readers to get their entries in before the November 14 deadline.
The aim of these awards, which have been sponsored by Cambridgeshire County Council, as well as local companies who have sponsored individual categories, is not only to recognise sporting achievement across East Cambridgeshire, but also to encourage and support our future sports men and women, who we hope may have greater ambitions in the national arena and, in particular, the 2012 Olympics.
But local sport is not just about future Olympians; it is about the grass roots and all those people who compete in every kind of sport week-in and week-out. And we know there are hundreds of you out there, the footballers, rugby players, hockey players, roller skaters, swimmers, runners, bowlers and many, many more.
We also have awards to recognise all the people who work behind the scenes and make it possible for sports clubs to run efficiently and sometimes to function financially. We want to hear about all the green-keepers, all the mums who wash the kits and all those hard-working individuals who often turn up in all weathers and make personal sacrifices to ensure that sports pitches are kept in order, or programmes are printed. There is also a category for disabled sports people, and the Liam Fairhurst Award, which recognises sporting endeavour.
You may also want to watch:
In the next few weeks we hope you will become as excited as we are at the Ely Standard at what will be a fantastic opportunity to recognise some talented and hard-working individuals from both on and off the pitch, pool and playing field.
- 1 Man dies after falling from bridge on A14 between Histon and Milton
- 2 Rogue trader tells victim: 'I'll knock your lights out'
- 3 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 4 Delivery riders and drivers wanted as Deliveroo launches in Ely
- 5 Golf club urges locals and dog walkers to ‘respect our private land’
- 6 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
- 7 Letter: Four new members join 'splash pad headquarters'
- 8 My opinion on Fen Biosphere
- 9 Career mentor's 100k charity run aims to raise £1,000
- 10 Councillor says MP Steve Barclay told Tories to return £10k lockdown grant