Agony For Littleport In Cup Final
LITTLEPORT Town s brave attempt on the Cliff Bullen Challenge Cup fell at the final hurdle on Tuesday night as they lost 1-0 to a spirited Great Shelford side. Though there was little to separate the teams throughout the match, two red cards in the second
LITTLEPORT Town's brave attempt on the Cliff Bullen Challenge Cup fell at the final hurdle on Tuesday night as they lost 1-0 to a spirited Great Shelford side.
Though there was little to separate the teams throughout the match, two red cards in the second-half ultimately made life too difficult for Port, who succumbed to a lone strike with 20 minutes to go.
The first-half was a scrappy affair, typical of a tense Cup Final, and few chances were created by either side. David Cornwell and Butcher with a strike from distance having the best efforts for Town as both sides went into the interval on level terms.
Port's cause was not helped by some questionable officialdom that saw them down to nine-men in the second-half as Luke Butcher was shown a red card for two bookable offences and Matt Parry was given his marching orders for violent conduct.
You may also want to watch:
The dismissals made it difficult for Littleport to maintain their physical approach and Shelford broke through with an excellent goal from the edge of the box from Matthew Green with twenty minutes remaining that ultimately turned out to be the winner.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues