Aaron wins Ely Runners’ Grunty Fen half marathon in field of more than 450 competitors
- Credit: Archant
More than 450 runners competed in the annual Ely Runners’ Grunty Fen half marathon.
The race was won by Aaron Scott (1:08.04), ahead of Peterborough AC runner Steve Robinson (1:10.58) and Anthony Johnson (1:12.10).
First Ely Runners member home was Jason Mann in 47th (1:28.17), followed by Sadie Spring in 119th (1:40.17).
Also on the day, Ely Runners Juniors held a one mile fun run sponsored by The Stockshop and a half mile fun run sponsored by The Paradise Centre.
There were 40 runners in the half mile race won by Jeremy White (3.28). Elana Fraser was the first girl home in fourth overall (3.41).
You may also want to watch:
The mile race attracted 27 runners and was won in a dramatic sprint finish which had the crowd cheering between winner Isaac Morris (6.14) and Alex Oakhill. Alex led the race most of the way until the last 12 metres when Isaac overtook him with a faster finish. First girl home in fourth place overall was Dana Fraser in 6.42
Race director Alan Rutterford said; “Many thanks to all that helped and those that turned out in the sunshine to run.”
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
Grunty Fen results - Ely Runners: Jason Mann 47th, 1:28.17; Sadie Spring 119th, 1:40.17; Barry Greaves 143rd, 1:43.20; Peter Harris 147th, 1:43.50; Robert Haggart 174th, 1:46.10; Leslie Paul 208th 1:49.58, Ian Keys 249th, 1:53.57; Sarah Edwards 260th, 1:54.23; Nigel Reynolds 275th, 1:56.13; John Turner 303rd, 2:00.04; Hannah Torkington 321st, 2:02.35; Roddie Shepherd 355th, 2:09.06; Colin Churcher 448th, 2:40.47.