A quick brew
Geoff Brewster was back in form in Ely Cycling Club s time trial last week and recorded the fastest time to win the Cox Cup. Sixteen riders took part in the race on the A142 between Witchford and Sutton. Brewster, right, put in an impressive performance t
Geoff Brewster was back in form in Ely Cycling Club's time trial last week and recorded the fastest time to win the Cox Cup.
Sixteen riders took part in the race on the A142 between Witchford and Sutton.
Brewster, right, put in an impressive performance to cross the line in 23:42, just seconds ahead of Tom Sykes (23:50) and Steve Presland (23:57).
Also riding well were Andy Bright (24:10), John McAndrew (24:29), Colin Whitechurch (24:42) and Richard Hill (24:51), who all fought hard to break the 25-minute barrier.
Steve Lightfoot missed out on a 25-minute time by just 20 seconds while father and son Andy and Ben Stephen posted solid times of 26:14 and 32:24.
Harvey Leadbeater was also inspired by his father as he clocked 28:57, only 16 seconds behind Leadbeater senior.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 9 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 10 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
The Tuesday evening time trials have finished and the next club event will be the open 10-mile time trial on Saturday, from 2pm.
This will be open to club members only. To join the club or for more information visit www.elycyclingclub.com or call Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
Results - 10-mile solo: 1 Geoff Brewster 23:42, 2 Tom Sykes 23:50, 3 Steve Presland 23:57, 4 Andy Bright 24:10, 5 John MacAndrew 24:29, 6 Colin Whitechurch 24:42, 7 Richard Hill 24:51, 8 Steve Lightfoot 25:20, 9 Gordon Hollingworth 25:49, 10 Andy Stephen 26:14, 11 John Jermy 27:50, 12 Derek Bailey 28:17, 13 Nigel Leadbeater 28:41, 14 Harvey Leadbeater 28:57, 15 Celia Whitechurch 30:39, 16 Ben Stephen 32:24.