A cash splash for swimmers
ELY swimmers pocketed a total of £285 in personal prize money at the fourth annual Random Draw Relay Gala, hosted by Mildenhall Swimming Club at Waterworld in Thetford this weekend. Eighty-three swimmers from clubs around the region were placed in teams o
ELY swimmers pocketed a total of £285 in personal prize money at the fourth annual Random Draw Relay Gala, hosted by Mildenhall Swimming Club at Waterworld in Thetford this weekend.
Eighty-three swimmers from clubs around the region were placed in teams of four, drawn at random, in up to five events.
Each team competed for the best time for a 4 x 25m freestyle relay. The fastest team shared the top prize of £400, and two of Ely's swimmers, 11-year-old Jack O'Connor and 16-year-old Hannah Kirby, were in the fastest team on the night and took home £100 each.
Their time was 57.3 seconds, which averages out at just over 14 seconds per length.
You may also want to watch:
Hannah Kirby was also in the third fastest team, and added a further £25 to her winnings.
Jessica Yardy (13) shared the £200 second prize with her team mates, and Heloise Evans (12) took home £10 for her part in the fourth placed team.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Club chairman Karl Davis said: "Once again, this event proved to be a very exciting occasion.
"It's great to see the younger swimmers encouraged and supported by older competitors from other clubs - this event really brings everyone together in mutual enjoyment of their sport. I am delighted for our swimmers who work so hard to improve their stroke technique.
"It's great to see them rewarded for their efforts, and even those who were not in the four fastest teams enjoyed themselves immensely."
For more information on the club, contact Alison O'Connor on 01353 659526.