A breeze for Witchford

Under-9 Witchford Colts 7 Chatteris Town B 0 WITCHFORD breezed to a comfortable victory in their first game of the year. There was some good play in very windy and heavy conditions. Daniel Chapman struck twice and Matthew Loades scored a


Witchford Colts 7 Chatteris Town B 0

WITCHFORD breezed to a comfortable victory in their first game of the year.

There was some good play in very windy and heavy conditions.

Daniel Chapman struck twice and Matthew Loades scored a hat-trick, one of which was a fine drive into the top corner.

A superb volley, then a good header from man of the match Nathan Parker completed the rout.

Most Read

Witchford squad: Sam Gulliver, Matthew Loades, Euan Gilmour, Nathan Francis, Daniel Chapman, Harry Braybrooke, Ruairidh MacDonald and Nathan Parker.

Soham Town Colts 7

Cottenham United 0

ANOTHER fine Soham performance made victory certain. Both teams went into the match on the back of two consecutive victories, but Soham made the most of their chances with goals from Daniel Hobbs (4), Conan Isaacson (2) and Johir Hannan, who scored his first for the team and made sure of Soham's eighth in nine games.


Colts League Cup Semi-Final

Ramsey Colts 3 Ely Crusaders 2

CRUSADERS were desperately unlucky to fall at the final hurdle.

Ely started brightly but went behind after a counter-attack.

The visitors attacked well but were denied several times by an excellent goalkeeper, and the clinical hosts scored twice more to establish a comfortable lead at the break.

Ely came out determined and pulled one back when Rowan Shergold ran on to a superb ball from midfield and blasted home.

Thomas Walker scraped the outside of the post before Tyler Thurston grabbed a second after some patient build-up play.

Ely continued to press and the Ramsey stopper got down superbly to deny an almost certain goal from Thurston.

Ely Crusaders squad: Oscar Haines, Ryan Marston, Tom Matcham, Harry Beeton, Tyler Thurston, Scott Callaghan, Thomas Walker, Tom Biscoe, James Callow, Jake Day, Sam Dix, Alex Germeney, Luke Hall, Lewis Jones, Rowan Shergold, Joe Steggles.


Soham Town Colts 3 Isleham 2

JORDAN Turpin struck in the final minutes to give Soham the win after a frantic finish.

Soham stopper Matthew Fretwell leapt to push a shot, destined for the corner, over the crossbar, but Isleham took the lead shortly after.

The hosts equalised when Fretwell's long clearance found Alistair Hutchison who controlled well before slotting home. Kieran Fuller scored from a corner to make it 2-1, and the match then became very tight.

After Isleham shot wide and Soham's Ross Davy hit the post, the visitors pushed forward to equalise.

The Colts' determination was rewarded when Turpin's late strike gave Isleham too much to do.

Soham man of the match: Sean Turner.


Littleport Town 2 Godmanchester Rovers C 0

LITTLEPORT went back to the top of the league after this solid performance against an improved Godmanchester team.

The visitors' goalkeeper was in superb form and there seemed no way through until a good cross from Ashton Oakes found Nico Bishop free in the area, and he made no mistake.

'Port continued to press and Bishop doubled their lead after good work from Jake Browning.

In the second half 'Port piled on the pressure, but the visitors' offside trap and some fine saves kept the scores the same.

Littleport squad: Sam Barker, Ben Jewitt, Jake Kennedy, Charlie Bowditch (c), Kiaran Phillips, Ben Hawkins, Joseph Murfitt, Ashton Oakes, Arron Heaps, Luke Thompson, Nico Bishop, Jake Browning, Josh Tollett, Jed Oak-Leigh.

Stretham Sporting 3 Cambourne Rovers 1

SPORTING cruised to a comfortable home win on Sunday.

First-half goals from Craig Lawrence and Harry Thomson gave the home side the lead at the break, and if it wasn't for some fine goalkeeping they would have been further ahead.

Andrew Burrows and Jack Rose came close to increasing Sporting's lead, before a goal from a free-kick gave Cambourne consolation.

Stretham squad: Will Holmes, James Fuller, Greg Hine, George Carroll, Kieran Pauley, Harry Thomson, Conor Smithson, Michael Thomas, Jack Rose, Craig Lawrence, Andrew Burrows, Braddan Westlake, Matthew Kerridge.


Ely City 3 Parkside 2

A LATE goal completed an impressive City fight-back.

Ely started well and took the lead when Liam Heaps stabbed the ball home at the second attempt.

City continued to press with Jamie McCarthy Alex Newton and Ryan Collins pulling the strings from defence, and strong running from midfielders Dan Beavis, Ryan Howell and Will Law.

Ely endured a disastrous start to the second half when two quick goals gave Parkside the lead.

City battled hard and were rewarded when Heaps found space on the right, forced the goalkeeper to parry, and Codie Couzens knocked in the rebound to make it 2-2.

City now had their tails up and with time running out, Jordan Miller pounced to score the winner.

Soham Town Colts 4 Haverhill Rovers 0

SOHAM never looked like losing control of this match and two goals in each half ensured the win.

Dan Brook opened the scoring when his shot from just outside the box wrong-footed the goalkeeper.

Ryan Brook then raced on to Elliot Drewery's pass and fired into the corner to make it 2-0.

Soham's dominance continued in the second half and Drewery cut in from the left and struck a superb low drive, before man-of-the-match Ryan Brook fired into the top corner of the net.

Soham squad: Charlie Wills, Ryan Saban, Simon Murfitt, Dan Sadler, Joel Frey, Francis Rowlands, James Seymour, Dan Whitwell, Dan Brook, Ryan Brook, Elliot Drewery, Owen Grainger, Dalton Isaacson, Michae Rola.


Witchford Colts 7 Longstanton Lions 1

WITCHFORD were in control from the start and, after 10 minutes of constant pressure, went ahead through an own goal.

Josh Walder and Jamie Douglas then both struck twice to put the hosts 5-0 up at half-time. Longstanton pushed hard and were rewarded with a good goal after some sloppy defending, but goals from Lewis Timbrell and Paul Dewey ensured that Colts finished worthy winners.


Therfield Eagles 2 Littleport Town 2

LITTLEPORT were made to rue a host of missed chances, but things could have been much worse for them.

A muddy pitch ensured a scrappy match, and the visitors took the lead through a John Bartlett free-kick.

Littleport created two clear chances before the interval, but both efforts were shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Therfield equalised early in the second half with a finish from an acute angle, but the visitors re-established their lead when James Elliot's long pass found Sean Monigatti, who hammered home.

Littleport launched a series of attacks down the left, but lacked decisive finishing. In the final minute a Therfield midfielder unleashed an unstoppable drive from outside the box to make it 2-2, and with seconds to spare, a cross clipped Littleport's crossbar and bounced to safety.

Littleport squad: Rob Wilson, Adam Reckless, Lee Fuller, John Kelly, Matt Fuller, Luke Williams, John Bartlett, Sam Males, James Elliot, Dan Bell, Sean Monigatti, Nick Seaman, Ryan Middleton, Tom Evans.