Ely Tigers faced third in the league Bury 2s at Cambridge Commodities Park at the weekend.

From the start of the game, Tigers showed their intention. From a Bury line-out, which  Ely stole the ball to set up the attack, seeing the ball pass through the hands of Jordan Barnes, Lee Thompson and Jim Storey with Matt McCarthy crossing the try-line.

McCarthy added the conversion for the perfect start. The next attack saw the home-side awarded a penalty in front of the points, McCarthy opted to add the points to extend the lead to 10-0

With 21 minutes on the clock, Ely won a penalty close to the Bury try-line, they pushed forward looking for gaps in the defensive line and the ball found Storey who dived over the line.

Luke Turner broke free to score to the right of the posts, McCarthy added the conversion as they extended the lead to 24 points.

Paul Dewey was forced off due to injury. Replacement, Jim Reed made an impact straight away as he broke free on the stroke of half-time scored his first try for the club. McCarthy added the conversion to give the home side a 31-0 lead.

Ely Standard: Jim Reed scores his first try for the club.Jim Reed scores his first try for the club. (Image: Steve Wells)

The start of the second half saw a yellow card for Bury, which saw the award of a penalty to Tigers, McCarthy added the three points.

McCarthy extended the lead and then Bury started to push forward and finally got on the scoresheet.

The home side went down to 14 as Declan Wolverson was shown a yellow card.

Bury went on the attack again, winning a penalty, which was moved a further 10 meters forward after dissent from Bury, opting for the scrum Tigers moved the ball from right to left, finding Dan Piper out of the wing to score, this time McCarthy wasn’t able to add to his points tally.

A mis-placed ball from the home side allowed Bury their second try of the afternoon, which was soon followed by the third, with the conversion added, the score stood at 46-17 as the game drew to a close.

Final score finished 49-17

Tigers travel to league leaders Shelford 2’s on Saturday.