10-man Robins hold out for win
Kirkley and Pakefield 1 Ely City 2
NICK Impey struck in the 89th minute as 10-man Ely City took all three points against mid-table Kirkley and Pakefield on Saturday.
Despite losing goalkeeper Lee Pacey shortly after the hour mark, Ely remained resolute and held out for the win despite a late surge from the home side.
The win keeps the Robins hot on the heels of top two Brantham Athletic and Wroxham, with the visit of high-flying Dereham Town their next test.
The visitors took the lead in the 12th minute as Dave Wilson finished from close range.
Though they remained comfortable after the break, matters quickly turned sour for Ely as keeper Lee Pacey was shown a red card for handling outside his area. Striker Richard Chadwick was pressed into action between the posts.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 10 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
Kirkley struggled to make their numerical advantage pay however, and Ely doubled their lead late on when Impey smashed home from 25 yards.
Kyle Baker converted a penalty deep into injury time to give the home side some late hope but the final whistle blow moments later to dampen any hopes of a comeback.