10-man Robins hold out for win
Kirkley and Pakefield 1 Ely City 2
NICK Impey struck in the 89th minute as 10-man Ely City took all three points against mid-table Kirkley and Pakefield on Saturday.
Despite losing goalkeeper Lee Pacey shortly after the hour mark, Ely remained resolute and held out for the win despite a late surge from the home side.
The win keeps the Robins hot on the heels of top two Brantham Athletic and Wroxham, with the visit of high-flying Dereham Town their next test.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors took the lead in the 12th minute as Dave Wilson finished from close range.
Though they remained comfortable after the break, matters quickly turned sour for Ely as keeper Lee Pacey was shown a red card for handling outside his area. Striker Richard Chadwick was pressed into action between the posts.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Kirkley struggled to make their numerical advantage pay however, and Ely doubled their lead late on when Impey smashed home from 25 yards.
Kyle Baker converted a penalty deep into injury time to give the home side some late hope but the final whistle blow moments later to dampen any hopes of a comeback.