Zimbabwean Singers Wow the Crowd in Soham
ZIMBABWEAN singers arrived for their concert in Soham in the nick of time on Thursday evening, fresh off the plane from the troubled African country. The Umdumo Wesizwe group, from Bulawayo, wowed the crowd at Brook House Hotel with their unique brand of
ZIMBABWEAN singers arrived for their concert in Soham in the nick of time on Thursday evening, fresh off the plane from the troubled African country.
The Umdumo Wesizwe group, from Bulawayo, wowed the crowd at Brook House Hotel with their unique brand of love songs, traditional Shona-people songs and celebratory dances. A lengthy encounter with immigration officials earlier in the day did not dampen their enthusiasm for performance.
After the concert Nkulu Leko, 25, spoke to the Ely Standard, on the eve of the group's second UK tour.
"Most of our songs are about love, and we sing them in the Shona language, but we also sing about hunger and AIDs," said Mr Leko. "The one thing about music is that it cuts through all boundaries and we hope that even if we are not singing in English people will understand through our harmonies what we are singing about."
Thanks to the vagaries of the immigration system the group had not yet had time to discover the sights of East Cambridgeshire. "So far so good, this is one of the best audiences we have ever had - it is a wonderful welcome," added Mr Leko.
He added that globalisation and travel to other countries in Africa had broadened the group's musical and dance styles, which now include rap, soul and an energetic dance step from Botswana which involves imitating the movements of a gazelle.
- 1 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 4 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 5 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 6 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 7 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 8 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 9 Three officers commended for 2021 Boat Race policing
- 10 A141 crash involves recycling lorry
INFO: To find out where the group are on tour next, watch a video of their performances, and learn about traditional Southern African imbube music, visit www.umdomowesizwe.com
Zimbabwean a capella group Umdumo Wesizwe, pictured in Soham with their manager and administrator. 2498HD0608