Youngsters create a tree nursery
PUPILS from Fordham Primary School planted more than 250 trees as part of a woodland partnership. The youngsters created a tree nursery at the school and planted seedlings that will eventually be transferred to Snail Wood, which has been developed by For
PUPILS from Fordham Primary School planted more than 250 trees as part of a woodland partnership.
The youngsters created a tree nursery at the school and planted seedlings that will eventually be transferred to Snail Wood, which has been developed by Fordham-based company HFL.
"It has provided some fantastic opportunities," said the school's deputy head Rose Miller.
"As well as involving children with the woodland planting, HFL also planted a Rowan tree in the school grounds as a symbol of our relationship with HFL."
You may also want to watch:
Phil Drive, of HFL, who is also chairman of the Snail Wood steering group, said: "Cambridgeshire has significantly less biodiversity than most counties in the UK. The majority of non-urban areas are agricultural, with less than five per cent being woodland. Wet woodland is one of Cambridgeshire's priority woodland types and this is exactly what we intend recreating in Snail Wood."
The wood is managed by a steering group made up of HFL employees and members of the local community, and is run in conjunction with the Green Light Trust, English Nature and the county council's Biodiversity Partnership.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 5 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 9 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car