You’ve heard of scouts doing a good turn - now they’re doing good manoeuvres too!
- Credit: Archant
A group of scouts from Ely were given the opportunity to get behind the wheel of a car at a special young driver event held last Wednesday.
A group of more than 20 scouts, aged between 11 and 14, were given one-to-one tuition by specialist firm Young Drive – which offers driving lessons to 11-17 year olds.
During their lessons, the scouts practised manoeuvres on a specially constructed road system with traffic signs, roundabouts and car parks.
The session was held in the car park of Sainsbury’s, in Lisle Lane, where they each spent 15 minutes learning the basics of driving, including preparing to drive, setting off and steering.
Kim Stanton from Young Driver, said: “We’ve been delighted to hold a special event for the Ely scouts, and we hope they’ve all enjoyed themselves. But the lessons are about much more than that – young driver safety needs tackling.
You may also want to watch:
“The roads are the biggest killer of our young people. We strongly believe that educating them about driving over a longer period of time is key.”
Cecilia de Boer, scout leader, added: “This is what Scouting is about- opening young people’s eyes to a world of promise and possibilities. Seeing the young people’s smiles grow bigger and bigger as their confidence behind the wheel grew, made the organisation of the event, all worthwhile. The scouts did themselves proud.”
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 3 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 4 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 5 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 6 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
For further information about Young Driver, visit www.youngdriver.eu or call 0844 371 9010.
For more information about joining Scouts, search www.cambridgeshirescouts.org.uk