You’ve heard of scouts doing a good turn - now they’re doing good manoeuvres too!
- Credit: Archant
A group of scouts from Ely were given the opportunity to get behind the wheel of a car at a special young driver event held last Wednesday.
A group of more than 20 scouts, aged between 11 and 14, were given one-to-one tuition by specialist firm Young Drive – which offers driving lessons to 11-17 year olds.
During their lessons, the scouts practised manoeuvres on a specially constructed road system with traffic signs, roundabouts and car parks.
The session was held in the car park of Sainsbury’s, in Lisle Lane, where they each spent 15 minutes learning the basics of driving, including preparing to drive, setting off and steering.
Kim Stanton from Young Driver, said: “We’ve been delighted to hold a special event for the Ely scouts, and we hope they’ve all enjoyed themselves. But the lessons are about much more than that – young driver safety needs tackling.
“The roads are the biggest killer of our young people. We strongly believe that educating them about driving over a longer period of time is key.”
Cecilia de Boer, scout leader, added: “This is what Scouting is about- opening young people’s eyes to a world of promise and possibilities. Seeing the young people’s smiles grow bigger and bigger as their confidence behind the wheel grew, made the organisation of the event, all worthwhile. The scouts did themselves proud.”
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: You have your say
- 10 Rough sleeping injunctions are ‘positive’ say council
For further information about Young Driver, visit www.youngdriver.eu or call 0844 371 9010.
For more information about joining Scouts, search www.cambridgeshirescouts.org.uk