Xander and Ted saddle up for Ouse Washes ride
- Credit: Archant
More than 60 years separates the youngest and oldest riders to have signed up to take part in the inaugural Ouse Washes Experience.
Xander Brown, six, and Ted Coney, 70, both from Ely, will be saddling up on September 21 to take part in the event – which will see participants raise money for emergency medical charity, Magpas.
Xander will putting himself to the test by completing the full 32km route from Welney to Welches Dam.
His mum Michelle said: “He has got school the next day, so I only wanted him to do the shorter run, but he’s so keen on helping Magpas he’s talked me into letting him do the full circuit.”
Ted said “I am so pleased an alternative date has been found, and that the cycling options have been broadened to make it more challenging.”
You may also want to watch:
The event takes place on September 21, and anyone who is interested in taking part – running, walking or cyclubg - should register through Eventbrite which can be accessed through the website www.walk-run-cycle.org.uk where full details can be found.
Alternatively people can turn up on the day. The registration desk is at the WWT, Hundred Foot Bank, in Welney and will be open for new entrants from 9:30-11am. Parking is limited at the WWT but alternative parking is available in Welney Village for runners and walkers after registering.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 6 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity
You can e-mail Gary Gardner on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07930 159930 for a registration pack if you do not wish to register and pay online.