World Pea Shooting Championships return to Witcham next month
- Credit: Archant
Yippee! The World Pea Shooting Championships return to Witcham next month.
Hundreds of people are expected to battle it out for a number of titles; competitors can take part in the world championship, ladies and junior championship as well as a team championship.
Alongside the championships, visitors can again enjoy the fair which will included a barbecue, bottle stall, bric-a-brac, jewellery and book stalls, and a number of side shows.
Witcham has been the spiritual home of the championships since 1971 when village schoolmaster John Tyson was inspired to set them up to try and raise funds for the village hall.
Mr Tyson got the idea for the championships from a group of his mischievous pupils, who he caught firing peas at their fellow students during school-time.
The championships have been running ever since and have drawn interest from across the globe, with competitors having arrived from Spain, the USA and New Zealand to take part.
This year’s championships take place on Saturday July 9.
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 3 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 6 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 9 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 10 Poet, Jo, shares poem in memory of sister to mark World Cancer Day
For more information call John Wells on 01353 778945 or email firstname.lastname@example.org