World Pea Shooting Championships return to Witcham next month
- Credit: Archant
Yippee! The World Pea Shooting Championships return to Witcham next month.
Hundreds of people are expected to battle it out for a number of titles; competitors can take part in the world championship, ladies and junior championship as well as a team championship.
Alongside the championships, visitors can again enjoy the fair which will included a barbecue, bottle stall, bric-a-brac, jewellery and book stalls, and a number of side shows.
Witcham has been the spiritual home of the championships since 1971 when village schoolmaster John Tyson was inspired to set them up to try and raise funds for the village hall.
Mr Tyson got the idea for the championships from a group of his mischievous pupils, who he caught firing peas at their fellow students during school-time.
You may also want to watch:
The championships have been running ever since and have drawn interest from across the globe, with competitors having arrived from Spain, the USA and New Zealand to take part.
This year’s championships take place on Saturday July 9.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
For more information call John Wells on 01353 778945 or email email@example.com