World Cup Fever: England hero at my wedding!
IT S not often a German would have a 1966 World Cup winner at her wedding – but for Ely woman Angela Brooks, that is exactly her claim to fame. England full-back George Cohen was a guest at Angela s wedding in Tunbridge Wells on November 10, 1976 – 10 yea
IT'S not often a German would have a 1966 World Cup winner at her wedding - but for Ely woman Angela Brooks, that is exactly her claim to fame.
England full-back George Cohen was a guest at Angela's wedding in Tunbridge Wells on November 10, 1976 - 10 years after England's triumph.
Angela met her husband Michael Brooks when he was with the army stationed in Dortmund in 1975.
The couple moved to England a year later and settled in Kent.
You may also want to watch:
Angela recalled: "I looked after the children of a landlady who was friends with George Cohen, so we invited him to our wedding.
"He was a very fine-looking man. "I think he would still remember me, although I have no idea where he lives now."
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 10 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
Angela, now 53, and Mr Brooks divorced in 2001, but the Collier Close hospital worker kept her married name - she was born Angela Blocker.
"I was just a young girl of 14 back in Germany during the '66 final," she continued.
"But soon after we moved to England, I started supporting them.
"I still support England now, although I will watch the Germany games. If it came to the crunch and England played Germany in the final, I wouldn't really know who to support."
Host nation Germany open World Cup with a group match against Costa Rica in Munich tomorrow (Friday), while England play Paraguay in Dortmund on Saturday.
With the possibility of England and Germany meeting in the second round this year, it sounds as though Angela has a tough decision to make!
Photo: HELEN DRAKE