Workers’ village approved for 600 seasonal employees from G’s of Barway
- Credit: Gs
A workers’ village to house nearly 600 people with 148 caravans and a shop has been approved for a site near Prickwillow.
It will be developed at Wings Hostel by G's of Barway - which already has 78 portacabins and 408 workers between May and October.
In its place will be 148 caravans/cabins with a 'village' shop, washing machines and drying areas, BBQ space and a smoking shelter.
Plans were given the green light by the East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC) planning committee on December 4.
It was brought to debate for consideration if there was "sufficient business justification" for an extra 184 workers on the site.
You may also want to watch:
The tree officer from ECDC raised concerns on the landscape but chair of the committee, Cllr Bill Hunt, said that the importance of G's and season workers to the local economy should be "recognised".
G's have invested around £10m over the past 15 years.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident