Games room of the year contender comes from Ely with a ‘Wonkey Donkey’ bar
- Credit: Archant
An Ely man is in the running to win a national competition for the best games room in the country.
Ben Buey has made the shortlist for the 2017 games room of the year competition with his ‘Wonky Donkey’ bar.
His entry is called the ‘Wonky Donkey’, named after a drawing his nephew did for him.
It has a pool table, dartboard, bar and more, and was included in the top ten of finalists that are set to go to a public vote to determine the overall winner.
Andy Beresford, managing director of competition organisers, Home Leisure Direct, said: “This has been our best year yet for entries and we’ve really struggled with the short listing process.
You may also want to watch:
“There really have been some outstanding efforts, but we’ve managed to whittle it down to what we view as the best of the best and, as you can see, there’s an excellent selection on offer.
“We’re opting to let the public have their say when it comes to the final decision. We’ve struggled enough to pick the finalists, let alone an overall winner, so we’re passing the buck and letting everyone else make the final choice.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
In addition to the official top ten, two further entries have been selected via a social media vote, which takes the total number of games rooms still in the running up to 12.
The public vote will determine the eventual winner of a £3,000 cash prize and officially saying they are the owner of the best games room in the UK.
The games room of the year competition is now in its third year, and is coordinated by Home Leisure Direct, the UK’s leading supplier of specialist games rooms equipment.
Ben’s rivals for the prize include a Pink Panther Bar that incorporates a pub garden, football pitch, a graffiti covered homage to arcade gaming and a room with a West Ham/Sci-Fi/music memorabilia themed twist.
Each of the finalists’ entries is available to view on the Home Leisure Direct website, where the public is able to vote for their favourite games room. Voting closes at midnight on Sunday November 52017.