Woman Who Needed Stitches After Being Showered With Glass In Ely Nightclub Has Been Awarded Compensa
AN innocent by-stander struck by flying glass during a fracas in the ladies toilets of an Ely nightclub needed four stitches to a wound. And on Thursday victim Stephanie Hinds was awarded �100 compensation for her injury by Ely magistrates. The court hear
AN innocent by-stander struck by flying glass during a fracas in the ladies toilets of an Ely nightclub needed four stitches to a wound.
And on Thursday victim Stephanie Hinds was awarded �100 compensation for her injury by Ely magistrates.
The court heard how Ms Hinds had been "frozen to the spot" as Jodi Mann fought with three other girls at the Glass House.
"The fight was between where she was standing and the door, she was frightened," said Laura Mardell, prosecuting.
"She saw Mann throw a glass at another girl, the girl ducked and the glass hit a cubicle, showering her with broken glass."
The glass cut through Ms Hinds' long sleeved top and she needed four stitches to a wound on her elbow.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 4 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 5 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 6 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 7 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
Twenty-three-year-old Mann, of Crowland Way, Cambridge, admitted assaulting Stephanie Hinds on November 1, causing her actual bodily harm.
She was given a 12-month conditional discharge and must pay the compensation, along with �85 court costs.
"My client is extremely distressed about what happened, she feels empathy towards the victim," said Veronica Candy, mitigating. "She is distraught she has caused injury."
Mann had been drinking heavily before the incident, she said. A girl threw a drink at Mann, and Mann retaliated by throwing her drink.
"She has not been out since, she has been so horrified about what happened," added Ms Candy.