Woman suffers burns after pan of oil catches fire
- Credit: Archant
A woman was rushed to hospital after suffering burns caused when a pan of oil caught fire in her kitchen this morning (Wednesday).
Firefighters from Ely and Littleport were called to a house fire in Redman Close, Ely, at about 9.45am.
A fire had broken out in the kitchen of a house and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels to extinguish the fire. Positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the property.
A woman had escaped from the house when firefighters arrived but was taken to hospital with minor burns and suspected smoke inhalation.
The fire started when a pan of oil caught fire.
You may also want to watch:
Watch commander Clive Allen said: “Leaving cooking unattended for even just a minute can cause a fire.
“Any member of the public attempting to tackle a fire is extremely dangerous, especially when you try and put a hot oil fire out with water as this will cause it to spread further.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
““We cannot stress enough how important it is for people to get out, stay out and dial 999 if you encounter a fire. If you have a fire involving hot oil you can remove the pan from the heat and cover it with a damp towel, but only if it is safe to do so. Close all the doors to the room and get out quickly.
“This resident did have working smoke alarms which went off at this incident. Let this be a timely reminder to residents to make sure you have a working smoke alarm on each floor of your property and that it is checked regularly.”