Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- Credit: Supplied
A female local government worker has been left shaken and terrified after being spat at by two men in Ely today.
The 24-year-old woman was walking from a car park through Cherry Hill when the incident happened.
A colleague said the victim “was obviously in shock and cried for a time – who wouldn’t?”
Police are visiting the office of the Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority to speak to the victim.
Staff there believe it was a random attack and not related to the fact the victim works there.
The colleague said the woman “was in pieces when she arrived for work.
“She was walking through Cherry Hill when she noticed two young guys were walking behind her.
- 1 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 2 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 3 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 7 New cycling and walking routes strategy approved by council
- 8 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 9 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 10 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
“She couldn’t catch what they were saying and just carried on. Suddenly one of them walked up and spat at her.”
The colleague added: “Luckily it all went behind her but came over her neck and covered her back pack she had on.
“It was very lucky it was not in front of her – but still absolutely terrifying in these days of Covid and precautions that need to be taken.”
A spokesperson for Mayor Dr Nik Johnson said the victim was having a cup of tea and trying to recover.
“This happened at 8.40am and not what you would expect at any time.”
The spokesperson believes it was random and not targeted at the mayor’s office.
However, the spokesperson said the office had on occasions been on the receiving end of “dog poo being pushed through the letter box”.
Police will be looking at a video the victim managed to snatch of her assailants before she fled to the safety of her office.