Woman Knocked Unconscious After Drinking Binge
A WOMAN collapsed unconscious after being punched twice in the face by her friend Sherrie Rands, following an all-day drinking session. An ambulance was called to the scene, and at hospital victim Miranda Bell needed a gash to her eye gluing together. Th
A WOMAN collapsed unconscious after being punched twice in the face by her friend Sherrie Rands, following an all-day drinking session.
An ambulance was called to the scene, and at hospital victim Miranda Bell needed a gash to her eye gluing together.
"This would not have happened if both parties had not been drinking excessively," defending solicitor Michael Judkins told Ely magistrates.
Miranda Bell and 25-year-old Rands, who had been friends for three years, had been out together since 11am on October 17, visiting various pubs, said prosecutor Laura Mardell.
You may also want to watch:
Around 6pm they went to Rands' flat, where they carried on drinking; Ms Bell was drunk and had difficulty in remembering the incident.
"The defendant hit her on the left eye with a clenched fist, she remembers saying, "Don't hit me Jamie, just let me go home," said Miss Mardell.
- 1 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 2 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 3 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 4 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 5 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 6 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 7 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 8 Annual classic car show returns to Ely
- 9 Book tickets for brewery’s summer jazz party
- 10 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
Ms Bell was hit for the second time, she fell to the floor and was unconscious for four or five minutes.
Rands, of Abbots Way, Ely, admitted assault. Before the incident Ms Bell had been loud and aggressive, and was asked to leave the flat, added Mr Judkins.
"Miranda Bell approached my client with her hands over her head. My client wanted to push her away, but accepts she punched her."
The case was adjourned until November 19 for a pre-sentence report to be prepared.