Woman Knocked Unconscious After Drinking Binge
A WOMAN collapsed unconscious after being punched twice in the face by her friend Sherrie Rands, following an all-day drinking session. An ambulance was called to the scene, and at hospital victim Miranda Bell needed a gash to her eye gluing together. Th
A WOMAN collapsed unconscious after being punched twice in the face by her friend Sherrie Rands, following an all-day drinking session.
An ambulance was called to the scene, and at hospital victim Miranda Bell needed a gash to her eye gluing together.
"This would not have happened if both parties had not been drinking excessively," defending solicitor Michael Judkins told Ely magistrates.
Miranda Bell and 25-year-old Rands, who had been friends for three years, had been out together since 11am on October 17, visiting various pubs, said prosecutor Laura Mardell.
Around 6pm they went to Rands' flat, where they carried on drinking; Ms Bell was drunk and had difficulty in remembering the incident.
"The defendant hit her on the left eye with a clenched fist, she remembers saying, "Don't hit me Jamie, just let me go home," said Miss Mardell.
- 1 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch
- 2 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 3 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 6 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 7 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 8 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' following A1303 crash
- 9 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 10 Budding musicians hit the right note at 25th annual awards evening
Ms Bell was hit for the second time, she fell to the floor and was unconscious for four or five minutes.
Rands, of Abbots Way, Ely, admitted assault. Before the incident Ms Bell had been loud and aggressive, and was asked to leave the flat, added Mr Judkins.
"Miranda Bell approached my client with her hands over her head. My client wanted to push her away, but accepts she punched her."
The case was adjourned until November 19 for a pre-sentence report to be prepared.