Top graffiti artist helps Witchford students to brighten up school’s walls
- Credit: Archant
A champion graffiti artist who has produced artwork for Green Day, McFly and YouTube helped students at Witchford Village College to brighten up the school’s walls.
Students were lead through the design and planning process then instructed in spray paint techniques by graffiti artist and professional illustrator Si Mitchell.
The workshop, which was run as part of the college’s SPARK initiative, ended with the spraying of two large external walls at the college.
A college spokesman said: “SPARK aims to identify what makes each student tick, ignite their love of learning and raise their aspirations.
“The workshop also served to enhance the students’ learning environment, as part of the school refurbishment project, and gave students ownership of this area.
“The students involved threw themselves into the project and came up with some great individual ideas.
“They then collaborated with their fellow students to pull the various designs together to form a cohesive plan for their walls.
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 4 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 5 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 6 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 7 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 8 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
“They were all very keen to get started on the spray painting, which was far more difficult than they all first thought.
“Once they got over their initial errors and had practiced the techniques Si had shown them, the wall art began to emerge.
“We were extremely lucky to secure Si Mitchell for the workshop. He is a Street Artist and the current UK Illustration Champion.
“He has produced artwork for Green Day, McFly, BBC, YouTube and many more. The students found him to be very inspiring and motivational and were entranced by some of the stories he told them.
“The final walls are awesome and this group of students will now use their knowledge to roll out further workshops to inspire some of our younger students.”