A £9,000 lottery grant has allowed youngsters to take part in quad biking, craft workshops and paint balling among other activities this summer. The Awards for All cash was granted to the Barns Young People s Forum on Ely s Barns Estate to provide activit
A £9,000 lottery grant has allowed youngsters to take part in quad biking, craft workshops and paint balling among other activities this summer.
The Awards for All cash was granted to the Barns Young People's Forum on Ely's Barns Estate to provide activities for youngsters aged four to 17 living on the estate and throughout Ely and its villages.
Multi-sports sessions took place at of Ely Community College and there was professional golf coaching from staff at the Ely on Par golf course in Downham Road.
There were days out at Wicken Fen, Denny Abbey, Wildtracks and Mepal Outdoor Centre and some brave youngsters even had a go at holding snakes, tarantulas, scorpions and other creepy crawlies during a visit from animal lovers ZooLab. Music, dance and craft workshops were also very successful.
You may also want to watch:
All the events and activities were offered at a discounted price and included transport where necessary.
The Barns Young People's Forum is a multi-agency group including local residents and representatives from Sanctuary Hereward housing group, the police, East Cambridgeshire District Council and ADeC (Arts Development in East Cambridgeshire) and has been running for three years.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
If anyone is interested in being part of the Barns Young People's Forum or would like further information regarding future activities, please contact Jo Batchelor, community initiatives officer, on 01353 668238 or 07768 142515 during office hours.