Wish Ball at The Brook in Soham will help fulfil terminally ill people’s last wishes
- Credit: Archant
A paramedic brought up in Soham is holding a charity Wish Ball later this month at The Brook.
Hannah Schumann, who volunteers with Stichting Ambulance Wens - a charity which began in Rotterdam to fulfil the wishes of terminally ill people - has organised the fundraiser.
She said: “I think we all wish we could have had that last special memory with a loved one - that’s how I feel about my grandmother.
“That’s why I’m involved with the charity, and for the fact that my profession allows me to help others.
The charity has now expanded to the UK and relies on health care professionals volunteering to take patients, who are usually on many medications, to make their last days special.
“We are hoping to raise money for an ambulance to be kept in the UK,” Ms Schumann added.
“This goes towards enabling people to have moments with their loved ones that they can treasure forever.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 9 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 10 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
“The wishes granted have included ice skating with family whilst on the stretcher, being wheeled out to the sea, visiting Disney and holding their first grandchild.”
The Wish Ball takes place on Friday March 25 from 6.30pm.
Tickets cost £35 each and include a three course meal and welcome drink; tables of eight or more will also receive a free bottle of Prosecco.
For more information and to book, call Hannah on 07710 490328 or 07506 060224.