Wish Ball at The Brook in Soham will help fulfil terminally ill people’s last wishes
- Credit: Archant
A paramedic brought up in Soham is holding a charity Wish Ball later this month at The Brook.
Hannah Schumann, who volunteers with Stichting Ambulance Wens - a charity which began in Rotterdam to fulfil the wishes of terminally ill people - has organised the fundraiser.
She said: “I think we all wish we could have had that last special memory with a loved one - that’s how I feel about my grandmother.
“That’s why I’m involved with the charity, and for the fact that my profession allows me to help others.
The charity has now expanded to the UK and relies on health care professionals volunteering to take patients, who are usually on many medications, to make their last days special.
You may also want to watch:
“We are hoping to raise money for an ambulance to be kept in the UK,” Ms Schumann added.
“This goes towards enabling people to have moments with their loved ones that they can treasure forever.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
“The wishes granted have included ice skating with family whilst on the stretcher, being wheeled out to the sea, visiting Disney and holding their first grandchild.”
The Wish Ball takes place on Friday March 25 from 6.30pm.
Tickets cost £35 each and include a three course meal and welcome drink; tables of eight or more will also receive a free bottle of Prosecco.
For more information and to book, call Hannah on 07710 490328 or 07506 060224.