Window on the IT world
THE Portal opened on Saturday, October 14, and is Ely s new internet cafe. It makes a welcome addition to facilities on offer in Ely. Situated at 23 Forehill, The Portal provides internet access, printing, photocopying and all IT services in relaxed and
THE Portal opened on Saturday, October 14, and is Ely's new internet cafe. It makes a welcome addition to facilities on offer in Ely.
Situated at 23 Forehill, The Portal provides internet access, printing, photocopying and all IT services in relaxed and comfortable surroundings.
The owner is Anne Brown, who has lived in Ely for the past 20 years; with a background in customer services and project management she has an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft and has taught her skills to many colleagues over the years.
The most exciting thing about The Portal is Anne's enthusiasm to help her customers. She said: "If people have queries about Word and Excel we are more than happy to sit with them and guide them through. In fact, any problems at all to do with computers, our door is always open."
Anne and her two sons, Ollie and Elliott, see The Portal as providing a service to tourists, foreign students, migrant workers and the local community.
She says: "Many people have not grown up with computers and would gain such a lot even to learn to send and receive emails - they don't need to have their own PCs, they can come here."
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 8 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
Visitors can enjoy a coffee, latte, hot chocolate or one of their delicious fresh fruit smoothies or indulge in The Portal's wonderful range of cakes and grilled paninni's while they work.
The Portal is open Monday to Thursday 8am-7pm, Friday 8am- 8pm, Saturday 9am-8pm and Sunday noon-6pm. You can pay as you go on the internet for £1.50 for half an hour or have an account at £10 for 4 hours. The Portal offers a 10 per cent discount to students with ID.
Anne is also offering a free 15-minute familiarisation session to take customers through the basics.
INFO: Telephone The Portal on 01353 669599.