Window blown out after explosion in chimney
- Credit: Archant
A fire caused by an explosion in a chimney was a first for firefighters.
Crews from Mildenhall and Newmarket were called to an explosion involving a chimney at a property in East Road, Isleham, at about 12.30pm, on Sunday.
According to Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, the resident who dialled 999 stated they heard an explosion involving their wood burner and chimney in the living room of the detached house.
Thermal imaging cameras were used and firefighters isolated the gas and electrics.
Station commander Dave Allen said: “This was quite an unusual incident and something I had never seen before. It appears that and explosion occurred involving the wood burner, owing potentially to a build up of gases and potentially some blockages within the flue.
“It caused a window to blow out at and movement of a wall. Everyone who was in the property was safe and no one was hurt.”
A structural engineer was called by the fire service. Despite significant movement in the building it was deemed safe to inhabit.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 7 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021