Window blown out after explosion in chimney

PUBLISHED: 10:15 15 December 2014 | UPDATED: 10:15 15 December 2014

Archant

A fire caused by an explosion in a chimney was a first for firefighters.

Crews from Mildenhall and Newmarket were called to an explosion involving a chimney at a property in East Road, Isleham, at about 12.30pm, on Sunday.

According to Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, the resident who dialled 999 stated they heard an explosion involving their wood burner and chimney in the living room of the detached house.

Thermal imaging cameras were used and firefighters isolated the gas and electrics.

Station commander Dave Allen said: “This was quite an unusual incident and something I had never seen before. It appears that and explosion occurred involving the wood burner, owing potentially to a build up of gases and potentially some blockages within the flue.

“It caused a window to blow out at and movement of a wall. Everyone who was in the property was safe and no one was hurt.”

A structural engineer was called by the fire service. Despite significant movement in the building it was deemed safe to inhabit.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists