Wind turbine bid for pumping station in Littleport
- Credit: Archant
PERMISSION is being sought for a new wind turbine near a pumping station in Littleport.
Max Trautman has applied to build the 18m high machine at Wood Fen Pumping Station, just off Ely Road, to help reduce both the carbon footprint and overall running costs of his business.
Architects say the turbine, standing more than 18metres high, will generate more than 26,000kwh per year of energy, enough to power six homes, and save an estimated 15 tonnes of carbon annually.
In their submission to East Cambridgeshire District Council, the architects said: “The turbine has been sited a significant distance from residential properties to ensure that
there are no issues associated with noise, shadow flicker or safety. Although the turbine will be visible from nearby public highways, and some points along nearby public footpaths, this does not render the scheme demonstrably harmful.
“This proposal should be viewed as a piece of modern renewable technology in a largely agricultural area that will, in the long term, help maintain the viability of the landscape by reducing carbon emissions.”
A decision is expected on the plans within the next eight weeks. To view the plans, or to have a say, visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk.
- 1 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 2 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 3 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 4 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 5 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 6 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 7 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 9 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 10 Ely City WI share 'exciting projects' for 2022