Will Huntley starve himself to death?

PUBLISHED: 17:26 18 June 2007 | UPDATED: 12:32 04 May 2010

Ian Huntley is on hunger strike

Ian Huntley is on hunger strike

SOHAM killer Ian Huntley is threatening to starve himself to death because he is bored, according to a national newspaper. Huntley, began a hunger strike last Tuesday, and says he is prepared to die unless his latest demands are met. Huntley, 33, is fed

SOHAM killer Ian Huntley is threatening to starve himself to death because he is bored, according to a national newspaper.

Huntley, began a hunger strike last Tuesday, and says he is prepared to die unless his latest demands are met.

Huntley, 33, is fed up with being on the medical wing at Wakefield Prison and wants to be moved.

Advertisement

Huntley is serving a minimum of 40 years for the murders of 10-year-olds Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman. He is just three and a half years into the jail term and will be 70 before he can even apply for parole.

A Home Office source confirmed: "He is saying he is on hunger strike and that he is serious this time. He has not had any food for five days now. Whether he can last remains to be seen."

It is Huntley's second hunger strike, and the latest in a series of attempts to take his own life.

He has tried to commit suicide three times, most recently in September last year by taking an overdose of antidepressants.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard