Wilburton man covered his ears when told of sexual assault allegations, court hears
- Credit: Archant
A Wilburton man accused of sexually assaulting three schoolgirls covered his ears with his hands when police read out the allegations to him, a court has heard.
During police interviews surrounding allegations in the 1990s, Stephen Grant, of Stretham Road, denied being sexually attracted to children.
The 60-year-old told officers that being told about the allegations made by the alleged victims, who had been regular visitors to his house, had been “the biggest shock of his life”.
Ipswich Crown Court heard that when a police officer was outlining the allegations made by the girls to Grant he said: “Don’t read me any more. I don’t want to hear any more.”
In the interviews, which were read to the court today, the officer explained to Grant he needed to hear the allegations so he could give his side of the story but he had then covered his ears with his hands and was seen to be shaking.
You may also want to watch:
“All I can say is it’s all rubbish,” said Grant.
He told police he hadn’t had touched any of the girls inappropriately and accused them of “telling a pack of lies”
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 Church to hold churchyards training day
Grant has denied 10 offences of indecent assault and three of indecency with a child in respect of one of the alleged victims between 1995 and 1999, when she was aged between eight and 12, and one offence of indecent assault in relation to another girl between 1989 and 1991 when she was six or seven.
Grant has also denied attempted rape, indecency with a child and two offences of indecent assault on a third alleged victim between 1990 and 1996 when she was aged between five and 10.
Today (Thursday October 11) Judge John Devaux directed the jury to find Grant not guilty of three offences of indecent assault in respect of one of the girls.
Stephen Rose, prosecuting, said Grant lived alone and young children living in the area near him in Bury St Edmunds knew his door was always open and treats were on offer.
The trial continues.