Wicken man follows family’s footsteps joining UK Power Networks
- Credit: Archant
A Wicken man is following in his family’s footsteps having joined the same company where his dad, brother and uncles work or have worked for.
Daniel Stronge, one of six new engineering recruits at UK Power Networks, will complete a two-and-a-half year course to become a fully qualified engineer.
The 24-year-old, who previously applied for an apprenticeship at the company six years ago, said: “My dad Mick and my brother Adam both work for UK Power Networks and I have two uncles who did, but have now retired from the firm, so it was always my plan to try and join them.
“My dad has been here 34 years so my family give me as much guidance as they can and their advice has helped, but it’s all about me in the end and I’m here because I want to learn more.
“I’ve grown up with the electricity industry. I’ve always been interested in building things and how things work, engineering was always the way forward.
You may also want to watch:
“I used to quiz my dad as a child, we would talk over the dinner table about what he’d done at work so all of that knowledge is in my head.”
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed