Wicken Fen Dragonflies Feature On BBC's Springwatch
BBC Springwatch cameras have been at Wicken Fen this week filming the fens dazzling dragonflies for the forthcoming series of Springwatch. Springwatch presenter and Wicken Fen patron, Chris Packham, spent a day on the fen with world renowned dragonfly exp
BBC Springwatch cameras have been at Wicken Fen this week filming the fens dazzling dragonflies for the forthcoming series of Springwatch.
Springwatch presenter and Wicken Fen patron, Chris Packham, spent a day on the fen with world renowned dragonfly expect Ruary Mackenzie-Dodds capturing on film all aspects of the dragonfly's amazing life cycle.
The camera's filmed Chris Packham pond dipping for dragonfly larva, while a slow motion camera captured more than 2000 frames a second of dramatic images of dragon and damselflies in flight, mating and even fighting.
Wicken Fen is one of the best locations in the United Kingdom to spot Dragonflies with 21 species such as the Emperor Dragonfly, Hairy Dragonfly, Emerald Damselfly and Red Eyed Damselfly breeding on the fen. On a warm summers day thousands of these beautiful highly coloured insects can be seen performing their aerobatic flying displays along the waterways and ditches.
Most of the dragonflies life cycle is spent underwater, first as an egg and then as a larva. The larval stage can last two years or more, whilst flying adults mostly only survive a couple of weeks.
Wicken Fen is home to the only Dragonfly Centre in the United Kingdom. The centre staffed by knowledgeable enthusiasts is open at weekends throughout the summer. An ideal way to discover and learn about dragonflies is on a Dragonfly Safari held throughout the summer.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
The 2010 series of Springwatch starts on Monday May 31 at 8pm on BBC2.