Why should we stay in the EU? Liberal Democrats give their view at Ely Market Place
- Credit: Archant
The Liberal Democrats were in Ely Market Place on Saturday (May 14) talking to people and providing information about the EU referendum.
City of Ely Councillor Christine Whelan said: “Up until June 23 we intend to continue providing the positive, patriotic case for remaining in Europe.
“Of course no-one is saying the EU is perfect. Just like all institutions it is in constant need of reform.
“But we do that by rolling up our sleeves and winning the argument, not pulling out and leaving ourselves isolated and alone.
“Only by standing tall in Europe can the UK play a leading role in shaping its future. Liberal Democrats are clear where they stand.
“Together we have delivered decades of peace and prosperity and created the world’s largest ever trading area that has led to cheaper flights, lower mobile roaming charges and the opportunity to live, work and retire across the continent.
“Together we are stronger in the fight against cross-border global problems like climate change and terrorism - these don’t stop at the White Cliffs of Dover.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 9 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 10 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
“British police have access to the tools they need to keep us safe and our world-beating scientists have access to vital EU research projects.
“What’s more, we enjoy the highest consumer and environmental protections in the world.
“We should be standing at the forefront, ready to lead, not leave.”