Why should we stay in the EU? Liberal Democrats give their view at Ely Market Place
- Credit: Archant
The Liberal Democrats were in Ely Market Place on Saturday (May 14) talking to people and providing information about the EU referendum.
City of Ely Councillor Christine Whelan said: “Up until June 23 we intend to continue providing the positive, patriotic case for remaining in Europe.
“Of course no-one is saying the EU is perfect. Just like all institutions it is in constant need of reform.
“But we do that by rolling up our sleeves and winning the argument, not pulling out and leaving ourselves isolated and alone.
“Only by standing tall in Europe can the UK play a leading role in shaping its future. Liberal Democrats are clear where they stand.
You may also want to watch:
“Together we have delivered decades of peace and prosperity and created the world’s largest ever trading area that has led to cheaper flights, lower mobile roaming charges and the opportunity to live, work and retire across the continent.
“Together we are stronger in the fight against cross-border global problems like climate change and terrorism - these don’t stop at the White Cliffs of Dover.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
“British police have access to the tools they need to keep us safe and our world-beating scientists have access to vital EU research projects.
“What’s more, we enjoy the highest consumer and environmental protections in the world.
“We should be standing at the forefront, ready to lead, not leave.”