Who is Garfield’s childhood hero? Find out with our getting to know you feature with Ely’s most famous cat
- Credit: Archant
The city’s most famous cat is warming hearts across Ely after appearing in our newspaper’s regular getting to know you slot.
Garfield has become a much loved popular pet among shoppers in Sainsbury’s where he gets lots of fuss as he settles on the sofa of the in-store Virgin department.
He has his own Facebook page with more than 5,000 fans but hit the headlines in the summer when he was banned from the store after he scratched a young customer
That was in August - but by September luckily there was a change of heart and he was allowed to return to his favourite napping couch in the Virgin Holidays store.
Garfield is owned by Ely couple Dave Willers and Tina Battaglia who helped him to fill in our getting to know you answers.
You may also want to watch:
• 1. Who are you? I am Garfield the famous furbaby.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
• 2. What do you do? I go to Sainsburys and the Virgin store and help out.
• 3. On a scale of 1-10 how do you rate our sense of humour? 10 purrrrfect.
• 4. Tell us a joke? One day I’ll be in 10 Downing St and Larry the cat will be my deputy.
• 5. Pet hates? Dogs, squirrels, most other cats, flea treatment, going to the vet.
• 6. Is it time to abolish the Royal family? No, I love the Queen and can’t wait for her to have a selfie done with me and posted to my Facebook page Mr Sainsburys aka Garfield.
• 7. Brexit, in or out? I’m not bothered, so long as it doesn’t affect the price of Dreamies.
• 8. Fruit - tinned or fresh? What’s fruit, I’m a cat.
• 9. What is your favourite thing about East Cambs? The lovely people.
• 10. TV programme that has me reaching the off button? Crufts.
• 11. What would I spend 5K on? I would help Cats Protection and Great Ormond St (and stock up on Dreamies).
• 12. Favourite sports team? Whoever is top of the premier league (West Ham).
• 13. Place never return to and why? The vet because they weigh me.
• 14. Three people I would like to have dinner with? Julia Roberts, Mariah Carey and Demi Moore because I’m a ladies cat purrfect!
• 15. Cross the road to avoid? Any dog.
• 16. Childhood hero and why? Arnold Schwarzenegger because he has the perfect body like mine (my body is a temple)
• 17. Claim to fame? Making people happy and helping charities.
• 18. Biggest regret or achievement? Getting my own Facebook page with fans all over the world is an achievement.
• 19. Fancy dress character? Winston Churchill, a great leader and cat lover.