Where and when are your Remembrance parades and Armistice Day services this weekend?
- Credit: Archant
Remembrance parades and Armistice Day services are happening this weekend – with services in the city on both Saturday and Sunday.
Neighbouring towns and villages are, of course, holding their own acts of remembrance but here’s a selection of some of them.
If you’re in Ely an Armistice Day service will take place at the Ely war memorial on Saturday November 11. The service will begin at 10:50am with a one minute silence commencing at 11:00am.
The following day (November 12) at 10:00am, the parade will march from St Mary’s Church via Minster Place and The Gallery into Ely Cathedral. This will be followed at 10:30am by The Remembrance Service in the Cathedral.
You may also want to watch:
At 11:30am, the City of Ely Military Band, Standards and marching contingents will parade from Ely Cathedral via The Gallery, Minster Place, High Street to the Market Place for the wreath laying service at Ely war memorial.
This will be followed at 12:15pm with the City of Ely Military Band, standards and marching contingents parading past the war memorial up High Street back to the Market Place.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Soham’s parade will also take place on November 12, however it will commence at 14:15pm from Sand Street all the way to St Andrew’s Church for the service.
The Littleport Remembrance Day Parade will begin at Ponts Hill at 10:20am on Sunday November 12. This is followed by a service of remembrance at St George’s Church. Immediately after the service a wreath laying ceremony will take place at the war memorial.
Sutton is running the parade and service twice, once on Saturday November 11 and again on Sunday November 12. The first parade and service will begin at 10:45am at the Sutton memorial (St Andrew’s church) on the Saturday.
The second service and parade will begin at 10:30am from St Andrew’s church on Sunday November 12.
Following a service at St George’s Church at 10:30am on Sunday November 12, there will be a gathering at the war memorial in the cemetery. This is for the laying of wreaths and the playing of ‘The Last Post’.
After the service at the war memorial there will be another short service held at the Baptist Chapel.