Wheelie bins boost puts East Cambs among star recyclers
- Credit: Archant
The introduction of wheelie bins in East Cambridgeshire has seen the district record the third highest increase in recycling performance of English councils in the last year.
The statistics, from the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, show, in 2012/13, East Cambridgeshire was ranked 257th out of 320 councils responsible for waste collections - with recycling levels of just 33.37 per cent.
During 2013/14, however, when the new service was introduced halfway through the year, East Cambridgeshire shot up to 116th with a recycling rate of 45.48 per cent, an increase of more than 12 per cent.
East Cambs was only beaten by Ashford Borough (30 per cent) and Aylesbury Vale (13.25 per cent).
But East Cambs estimates that its recycling rate will be in excess of 54 per cent for 2014/15, and is confident of breaking into the top 50 best recyclers across England next year.
You may also want to watch:
The boost in the district’s recycling performance has come since East Cambridgeshire District Council successfully bid for £5 million from Government to fund a new recycling service which retained weekly waste collections.
Cllr Kevin Ellis said: “Since the introduction of the wheeled bin service in the autumn of 2013, we have seen our recycling rates increase dramatically.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
“It has been really encouraging to see how the efforts of our residents and the hard work of staff at the district council have made a real difference.
“I would not be surprised if in 2015 we see East Cambridgeshire continue to climb into the top 50 recyclers in the country – this would be a fitting accolade to reflect the enthusiasm with which the wheelie bin service has received.”
The top recycling council in England, in 2013/14, was South Oxfordshire District Council, which recorded a rate of 65.71 per cent.