What a weskit! Auctioneer David tries on his new award winning waistcoat
ELY auctioneer David Palmer - renown for his colourful waistcoats when appearing on TV - has a stunning new weskit to add to his collection.
David was presented with the patchwork creation by members of Cottenham WI, who had made the garment after winning a design competition.
The competition was launched back in the spring, when antiques expert David, often to be seen on TV programmes such as Flog It! visited a group meeting of WI ladies.
Designer Pat Labistour said: “A competition was launched to design David a waistcoat, and because I lead a craft group at Cottenham WI, I was asked to come up with our contribution.
“I knew he loved flamboyant waistcoats, so I came up with a patchwork design with antiques in each panel, and it won the competition.
You may also want to watch:
“David said that if we would make the waistcoat, he would wear it, so I got a group of 15 volunteers together, and our president Rita Williams got David’s measurements.
“Another member donated a box of fabrics, and we used them to applique the design. The pattern includes a grandfather clock, a chair, an oil lamp, some Moorcroft pottery and some Clarice Cliff ceramics, and an ivory gavel.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 5 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 6 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 7 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 8 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
“We are now looking forward to seeing David on TV, wearing our waistcoat.”
David, a freelance auctioneer for a number of auction houses, said: “My new waistcoat is seriously cool, and I will be wearing it for the first time at an auction in Bury St Edmunds.
“I certainly hope to wear it next time I appear on television.”