What a weskit! Auctioneer David tries on his new award winning waistcoat
ELY auctioneer David Palmer - renown for his colourful waistcoats when appearing on TV - has a stunning new weskit to add to his collection.
David was presented with the patchwork creation by members of Cottenham WI, who had made the garment after winning a design competition.
The competition was launched back in the spring, when antiques expert David, often to be seen on TV programmes such as Flog It! visited a group meeting of WI ladies.
Designer Pat Labistour said: “A competition was launched to design David a waistcoat, and because I lead a craft group at Cottenham WI, I was asked to come up with our contribution.
“I knew he loved flamboyant waistcoats, so I came up with a patchwork design with antiques in each panel, and it won the competition.
You may also want to watch:
“David said that if we would make the waistcoat, he would wear it, so I got a group of 15 volunteers together, and our president Rita Williams got David’s measurements.
“Another member donated a box of fabrics, and we used them to applique the design. The pattern includes a grandfather clock, a chair, an oil lamp, some Moorcroft pottery and some Clarice Cliff ceramics, and an ivory gavel.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 3 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 6 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 7 Author opens school’s new library
- 8 Town considers home for market
- 9 Village housing in disarray after all the trustees quit
- 10 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
“We are now looking forward to seeing David on TV, wearing our waistcoat.”
David, a freelance auctioneer for a number of auction houses, said: “My new waistcoat is seriously cool, and I will be wearing it for the first time at an auction in Bury St Edmunds.
“I certainly hope to wear it next time I appear on television.”