What a shot! Witcham’s annual Pea Shooting World Championship raises £2,400 for village hall
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people turned out to one of Witchem’s wackiest traditions – the annual Pea Shooting World Championship.
Along with a village fair, this year’s event raised over £2,400 for Witcham Village Hall.
John Wells, one of the organisers, said: “Thanks to all who helped run the pea shoot competition, stalls, barbecue, served teas, ice cream, the bar, and all who helped set it all up and take it all down.
“But most of all thanks to all who attended, took part, donated to the stalls, and/or spent some money. We must not forget the White Horse Inn for supporting the Pea Shoot by selling peas and pea shooters and providing a target practice area for the whole year.
“Thanks also to the Haddenham Beer Festival for the cider and other drinks, to Kings of Witcham who once again donated the trophies, and thanks to Michelle Berry for donating the most inventive pea shooter trophy for under 16-year-olds.
You may also want to watch:
“Despite the clash with a local wedding the overall event entry numbers were still above average.
The 2017 winners:
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
World Champion Jim Collins RU Ian Thomas Ashmeade
Ladies Champion Michelle Berry RU Martha Collins
Junior Champion Martha Collins RU Madeline Bresler
Junior Team Champions Petit Pois RU Strike 31
Adult Team Champions Haddenham Easy Riders RU Stockport Massive