WELNEY: Giles Landscapes wins county's only gold at Chelsea Flower Show
GILES Landscapes of Welney certainly proved to be alchemists at the prestigious Chelsea Flower Show this week, being the only company in Cambridgeshire to be awarded a gold medal. Their Fenland Alchemist Garden , which was featured on TV, was the only co
GILES Landscapes of Welney certainly proved to be alchemists at the prestigious Chelsea Flower Show this week, being the only company in Cambridgeshire to be awarded a gold medal.
Their "Fenland Alchemist Garden", which was featured on TV, was the only courtyard garden to be awarded gold, and was declared best in show in the courtyard section.
After hearing of their award, Roger Giles said: "This garden was a credit to all our staff and will be a massive boost to the company and all our loyal staff, including Steve and Jane, our in-house designers, our landscaping staff who built the garden, all the office staff who helped organise the event, and not least of all, the rest of our staff who stayed at home and carried on our day to day business."
The winning garden is an enhanced production of the prototype "The Fen Ben Garden", which won a hat trick of gold awards at the Sandringham Flower Show last year.
This year's garden included a selection of native plants and modern cultivars. Woad was one of them, which was used by Queen Boadicea of the Iceni tribe.
Mr Giles added: "We could have lost heart and pulled out when sponsorship for the garden did not materialise, especially in these credit crunch times, but we decided to go ahead, funding the whole project ourselves and using exclusively our own staff with absolutely no outside help.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 7 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 8 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 9 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 10 GP surgery 'failing' us says Labour