A FORMER mayor and mayoress of Ely celebrate 60 years of wedded bliss today (Thursday). Maurice and Joyce Hobbs, who held the position in 1981, actually met while both were attending the old infants school in Market Street, in what is now the City of Ely
A FORMER mayor and mayoress of Ely celebrate 60 years of wedded bliss today (Thursday).
Maurice and Joyce Hobbs, who held the position in 1981, actually met while both were attending the old infants' school in Market Street, in what is now the City of Ely Council chamber.
They got together in 1941 when Maurice was in the Air Training Corps and Joyce was part of the Girls' Training Corps.
Two years later, Maurice joined the Royal Navy and he was posted to Australia. The couple got married in St Mary's Church, Ely, on his return in 1946, when Maurice resumed his career as a hairdresser - he was joint-owner of MER Hairdressers in Market Street.
You may also want to watch:
Maurice, 81, was elected to City of Ely Council in 1979 and served his mayoral term two years later. He was a former Chamber of Trade president and is still a member of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes.
Joyce, 80, was a founder member of City of Ely WI and is a life member of Campaign Amateur Theatre. They currently live at Bell Holt, Ely.
- 1 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 4 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
They have three children: daughters Sandra and Diane and son Richard, four granchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Diane said: "They are always telling us that the secret to a successful marriage is give and take and separate interests."
The Hobbs' will celebrate their diamond anniversary with a family party in Ely on Sunday.