A FORMER mayor and mayoress of Ely celebrate 60 years of wedded bliss today (Thursday). Maurice and Joyce Hobbs, who held the position in 1981, actually met while both were attending the old infants school in Market Street, in what is now the City of Ely
A FORMER mayor and mayoress of Ely celebrate 60 years of wedded bliss today (Thursday).
Maurice and Joyce Hobbs, who held the position in 1981, actually met while both were attending the old infants' school in Market Street, in what is now the City of Ely Council chamber.
They got together in 1941 when Maurice was in the Air Training Corps and Joyce was part of the Girls' Training Corps.
Two years later, Maurice joined the Royal Navy and he was posted to Australia. The couple got married in St Mary's Church, Ely, on his return in 1946, when Maurice resumed his career as a hairdresser - he was joint-owner of MER Hairdressers in Market Street.
Maurice, 81, was elected to City of Ely Council in 1979 and served his mayoral term two years later. He was a former Chamber of Trade president and is still a member of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes.
Joyce, 80, was a founder member of City of Ely WI and is a life member of Campaign Amateur Theatre. They currently live at Bell Holt, Ely.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 5 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
They have three children: daughters Sandra and Diane and son Richard, four granchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Diane said: "They are always telling us that the secret to a successful marriage is give and take and separate interests."
The Hobbs' will celebrate their diamond anniversary with a family party in Ely on Sunday.