WATERBEACH: Donarbon and county council throw open their doors on Saturday for visitors
THIS year s Recycling Open Day at Donarbon s waste management park at Waterbeach, will be on Saturday 6th June, from 10 am to 4 pm. Donarbon and Cambridgeshire County Council expect even more members of the public to attend the event than last year, whi
THIS year's Recycling Open Day at Donarbon's waste management park at Waterbeach, will be on Saturday 6th June, from 10 am to 4 pm.
Donarbon and Cambridgeshire County Council expect even more members of the public to attend the event than last year, which saw the biggest crowds to date, because the new Mechanical Biological Treatment plant that will deal with all of Cambridgeshire's household waste for the next 28 years, will be open to visitors.
Visitors to the Open Day will also be able to see a range of recycling, composting and machinery exhibitions, stands from a number of local councils, companies, community and environmental groups, and most popular of all, get trips around the site in minibuses.
There will also be a free compost give away, competitions, refreshments and a range of children's activities, including the County Council's new schools recycling bus.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Shelton, Waste Promotions Manager for Donarbon Ltd. Said: "Last year we had over 430 cars through the gates; most were families, so we estimate that around 1,300 local residents attended the Open Day, and this year we expect even more.
"The public are really interested in what happens to their waste, how it is composted and recycled, and what plans we have to treat waste in the future, so that even less is dumped in landfill; and this year they will be able to look round the new MBT plant. We will have 3 minibuses and a land rover running site trips constantly from 10 am to 4 pm and I am sure children will love climbing on the machinery and vehicles on display and pretending to drive!"
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 4 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 5 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
Bernard Warr, Head of Waste at Cambridgeshire County Council, which is supporting this popular event, said: "Residents in Cambridgeshire are among the top recyclers in the country and we hope that as many people as possible take this opportunity to find out what happens to their waste as well as having a great day out."
The Open Day takes place at Donarbon's waste management park at Waterbeach, just off the A10 where the new MBT plant is currently being built. Entry is completely free and opening times for the event are 10 am to 4 pm.