Warning to residents after Burwell chimney fire

EAST Cambridgeshire homeowners have been warned to keep their chimneys clean following a fire in Burwell.

Emergency crews found the chimney fire in Newnham Lane, Burwell so difficult to access they had to use a 9 metre ladder and a chimney rod to extinguish the flames.

They had been called to the scene at 10.40am on Saturday (December 3) and later said the fire began accidentally.

After returning to their base at 1.05pm, a fire service spokesperson said: “Chimneys should be inspected regularly and cleaned at least once a year.

“Even a small blockage cause a fire, which could spread to the rest of the house.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus