Warning issued to dog owners after reports of suspicious activity across Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
Dog owners are being urged to stay vigilant amid reports from residents that gangs of thieves are operating in Cambridgeshire.
Earlier this month, a dog was stolen from a house in Eastfields, Littleport, and residents in Stretham and Little Thetford have reported suspicious vehicles loitering in cul-de-sacs in the past week.
Police were also made aware of suspicious activity in Needingworth and St Ives on Monday, with allegations that groups of men were knocking on doors posing as builders in order to scout for dogs.
A dog owner living in Ely Road, Stretham, said: “I came home from work one evening and there was a group of people sitting in a car right outside our gate, which had been left open, which is very, very unusual.
“Where we live, it is a dead end road so there is no need to go there unless you live there. The car was a dark coloured BMW and it was there at about 8pm, we reported it to police. We were told by friends that a similar car was spotted in Little Thetford.”
You may also want to watch:
The homeowner added that, on the same evening the car was spotted outside his house, chalk markings appeared on his fence, prompting fears that his house, and his dog, had been marked out by potential thieves.
He added: “I think it is important to get the word out there so that people are aware.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
HAVE YOU HAD A DOG STOLEN? Noticed suspicious activity in recent weeks? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF.