Warning from firefighters after rubbish blaze spirals out of control

ELY-Fire-Engine-0040

- Credit: Archant

A bonfire spiralled out of control in Soham, on Saturday.

Firefighters from the town were called to reports of a blaze in the open in Military Road, at about 2.45pm.

A small amount of rubbish was on fire and had been left unattended in a garden. Firefighters used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and returned to their stations by 3.40pm. The cause of the fire was accidental.

A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We would urge residents to avoid burning waste materials at home or in their gardens and instead take them to a local waste and recycling centre.

“If you do decide to have a bonfire, never leave it unattended, build it well away from property and foliage and avoid lighting it during windy weather.”