Warning from firefighters after rubbish blaze spirals out of control

PUBLISHED: 09:56 19 January 2015 | UPDATED: 09:56 19 January 2015

Archant

A bonfire spiralled out of control in Soham, on Saturday.

Firefighters from the town were called to reports of a blaze in the open in Military Road, at about 2.45pm.

A small amount of rubbish was on fire and had been left unattended in a garden. Firefighters used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and returned to their stations by 3.40pm. The cause of the fire was accidental.

A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We would urge residents to avoid burning waste materials at home or in their gardens and instead take them to a local waste and recycling centre.

“If you do decide to have a bonfire, never leave it unattended, build it well away from property and foliage and avoid lighting it during windy weather.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ely Standard