Warning after discarded cigarette leads to shed and house fire in Isleham, causing 'severe damage' to the kitchen and garage

PUBLISHED: 10:33 27 February 2017 | UPDATED: 10:33 27 February 2017

Cambs Fire issued a warning to smokers after a discarded cigarette led to a shed fire which then spread to a house in Isleham, causing severe damage to the kitchen and garage, on Friday February 24. PHOTO: Cambs Fire.

Cambs Fire issued a warning to smokers after a discarded cigarette led to a shed fire which then spread to a house in Isleham, causing severe damage to the kitchen and garage, on Friday February 24. PHOTO: Cambs Fire.

Archant

Cambs Fire issued a warning to smokers after a discarded cigarette led to a shed fire which then spread to a house in Isleham, causing "severe damage" to the kitchen and garage.

Two fire crews from Newmarket and Mildenhall were called to Aves Close at 1.43pm on Friday (February 24). Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel and jet to extinguish the fire and returned to their stations by 3.39pm.

Station Commander Paul Clarke said: “The fire caused significant damage to the garage and kitchen of the property but the rapid intervention of the crews prevented it from spreading to the upstairs of the property and elsewhere on the ground floor.

“When smoking, please ensure you stub the cigarette out properly before discarding it as cigarettes can easily start an accidental fire.”

For more advice on smoking materials and home safety, visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk/smoking-620.aspx

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists