Volunteers needed to care for Guide Dog puppies
- Credit: Archant
THE charity Guide Dogs is appealing for volunteers in East Cambridgeshire to train and socialise guide dog puppies, a volunteering role known as Puppy Walking.
Volunteers provide full-time care and education for a puppy from seven weeks until they are between 12 and 14-months-old when the puppies are then returned to the charity to begin their formal guide dog training.
Puppy Walkers are required to attend a fortnightly class in Brampton, Huntingdonshire, on Mondays.
Daniel Ingram, volunteer development coordinator for Guide Dogs, said: “We’re looking for enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers – our puppy walkers play an essential role - if we don’t have puppy walkers, we don’t have guide dogs.
“The role is challenging and it’s a real commitment to take a puppy in to your home for a year, but with the support of Guide Dogs staff, our volunteers find it extremely rewarding and worthwhile to raise a dog who will one day give a blind or partially-sighted person a new independence by acting as their eyes.”
You may also want to watch:
To become a Puppy Walker, volunteers will need to be home the majority of the day or be able to take the puppy to a suitable work environment. Puppy Walkers take their puppy into many varied environments; need access to a car and a securely fenced yard or garden. Guide Dogs supplies basic equipment and cover all veterinary and feeding expenses.
Penny Parker, who has been a Puppy Walker for seven years, said: “Volunteering for Guide Dogs has been a life changing experience. I’ve gained confidence and made many friends. I feel great that someone’s life has changed by looking after a puppy.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
If you would like to become a Puppy Walker or request more information please call 0845 371 7771, email email@example.com or visit www.guidedogs.org.uk/puppywalking